Introducing data transmission in computer networks is taken time due to its enormous amount of accumulated knowledge. That means students need to know basic computer network fundamentals first.
So that, I will follow these steps to help students understand data transmission and during the course, I focus on real examples, simulations tools, and graphic resources to simply and understandable illustrate every concepts.
- Providing fundamentals of networking
- Introducing 7 layers of OSI model: the physical layer, data link layer, network layer, transport layer, session layer, presentation layer, and application layer.
- Giving examples or applications of data communication in daily life and some explanation about them by indicating the elements and methods required for transferring data in a network
- Focusing on the protocols, methods, and elements which support the data communication
- Physical layer: digital/analog transmission, wired/wireless transmission
- Data link layer: Error detection and correction for communication, flow control
- Network layer: Network addressing, routing, network protocols
- Transport layer: Reliable data transfer (ex: UDP/TCP protocols)
- Presentation layer: digitization and data compression
- Application layer: Client/server or Peer-to-peer models