This lesson is design for younger children to develop emergent visual programming skills. It incorporates dance movements where children can enjoy physical movements as well as programming.
- Explain to children that children are now dance robots that need to follow visual programs to move.
- Put 5 dance prompt cards on the board and model to children how you would do robot dance by following the 5 dance steps in sequence.
- Now, ask the children to do the 5 step robot dance together with you.
- Now, change the 5 dance prompt cards, tell children they do the dancing. Point to the cards so that the children can robot dance at the same pace. Do it 3 times with different dance prompt cards.
- Now, let the children work in groups of 3 or 4, in which one person do the programming while the others play as dance robots. Switch roles once a student has programmed 3 times.
- If children feel confident with these actions, you may then increase the amount of dance steps! or add a repeat card so that the children have to repeat the same move several times.