Option 3: Create an algorithm as a flow chart for an everyday activity or situation. Explain how you would incorporate it into your classroom or teacher professional development (activity ideas).
Curriculum Links Technology Year 2
- Data can have patterns and can be represented and used to make simple conclusions (ACTDIK002)
- Work independently, or collaboratively when required, to organise informationand ideas to create and safely share sequenced steps for solutions (WATPPS15)
- Develop, communicate and discuss design ideas through describing, drawing, modelling and/or a sequence of steps (WATPPS12)
Numeracy Year 2
- Explore the connection between addition and subtraction (ACMNA029) Collect, check and classify data(ACMSP049)
- Create displays of datausing lists, table and picture graphs and interpret them (ACMSP050)
Health and Physical Education Year 2
- personal hygiene practices
- healthy eating
- sufficient sleep
- staying hydrated
- regular physical activity
- Positive responses to physical activity, such as a feeling of wellbeing(ACPMP028)
- Ways in which the body reacts during physical activity(ACPMP028)
- iPad, Finger Clip Heart Rate Monitor, calculators, algorithm chart. Paper and pencil.
- What kind of effect does exercise have on our body
- Discussion what heart rate is? How can we measure it?
- Separate the children into small groups
- Use the algorithm and create an experiment to determine what does exercise do to our body (10 mins)
- Using the “Teaching Graphs” app create a visual graph to represent the data (10 mins)
- Can be a bar chart/cylinder bar chart/picture chart
- Present the data to the class and explain why you choose that manner to represent the data.
- Choose someone and have a go at this exercise. Can they beat the highest score on your chart?
- Plot the heart rate data on the graph and create a poster demonstrating the importance of exercise and body and what exercise does to our heart rate.
The children may need a lot of scaffolding and help in using how to calculator to calculate the difference. Some children may a lot of help in using the algorithm chart. The lesson may take longer than expected. Representing the data using charts can be difficult for some children.